Frozen Pipes - How
To Thaw Them
Water Tank Maintenance
- Loud pipes can be caused by a few
different reasons. When you turn your water on do the
pipes bang? If so, you may have loose straps or even air
pockets trapped. Look at the anchors,
they should be no further 6 to 8 feet apart for horizontal runs and
8 to 10 feet apart for vertical runs. You may need to add some
straps to stop the banging. When you add a strap, make sure
you leave room for expansion.
- DO NOT USE galvanized straps on copper
- If your hot water pipes squeak, they
may need cushioned at the straps.
- Frozen Pipes
- The first thing you need to do is
locate the main shut off vale and close it, then open the closest faucet to the frozen pipe so it can drain as
the pipe thaws.
- You may want to take measures to
prevent water damage incase leaks occur. You can use buckets,
drop cloths and or plastic.
- Any of the following methods is
acceptable to thaw pipes. use what you have at your disposal or what
you feel comfortable using. Thawing should be done gradually.
- Propane Torch - a torch will work
quickly but can be dangerous. USE WITH CAUTION!
- A Hair Dryer will slowly and safely
defrost the lines.
- An Electric Heating Pad sold at
most home improvement centers will not only defrost but left in
place will prevent future freezing.
- If you have none of the above, try
pouring hot boiling water continuously over the pipe, eventually
it will work.
- Toilet Clogs can usually be handled
- Clogs tend to happen in the
built in trap in the toilet.
- First try a plunger, it may
take several attempts.
- If that fails, try an
auger. you can usually rent these from a home
improvement store or local rental facility.
- If that fails call us
- Sink Drain Clog:
- This can present a bit more of
a challenge but may also be handled by you.
- Again you can try the plunger
- If this doesn't work, try a
liquid drain opener product.
- If this doesn't work, you may
need to take the trap apart under the sink. If you're
not comfortable doing this, give us a call. A trap
that ends to be a leak can be more costly than a service
Water Heater Tank Maintenance:
- Hot water tanks over time will inevitably
end up with a build up of sediment at the bottom of the
tank. You should periodically have the tank inspected to
prevent unexpected failure. If you have a Soft
Water System you will get a much longer life out of your hot
coupons to help save on the cost of plumbing services. Just click
here to print them out
and present them to the qualified technician that shows up for your
plumbing or heating needs.
& Heating Specialists dedicated to serving the greater Pittsburgh area
with pride and honor. Call Mike Kaule for all of your plumbing related
needs, big or small, our crew will give you the service you expect.
Home Page :||:
About Us :||: Service
Tips :||: Contact Us :||: Products
Call Kaule Plumbing & Heating, Your Pittsburgh
© 2008 Kaule Plumbing &
Heating - All Rights Reserved
All Documentation on this website is protected by copyright.